Add me as a friend on facebook, so you can message me to tell me what I need to work on, or blog about.

Invite others to "Grow [their] Faith"


Saturday, October 23, 2010

Peter's Storm

The night was stormy, we set off for the coasts of Capernaum. Our master had left us, and so we journeyed alone. Most of us strong seamen, were confident with the ropes and oars, and so we traveled across the Gallilean sea. The Night was clouded, the moon a faded sliver through the damp fog. The rain a slight drizzle splashed upon my face, like the waves upon our vessel. I filled my lungs with the heavy fog-like air. It's been too long since I have been out here. I start to drift into a carefree state, pulling the ropes and rigging the sails, I drift into the comfort of my former life, the sea.
"Stop!" "Something's not right." I jolt out of my dream-like state, fully aware of the sea, and its sudden change. "Drop the sails!" My rough seaman voice calls out. Another wave crashes against the side, I quickly grab the rough knotted wood of the mast, but others fall. I grab an oar, splash it into the water, and stroke repeatedly with all my might, Andrew my brother grabs one as well, and James and John, are right there with me. Together stroking we turn the ship so the bow takes the force of the waves and the wind. We call to the others to stabilize the other side. As we fight the elements for our very lives, we begin to call upon our God to save us. The Waves don't stop, they relentlessly attack our poor fishing vessel, (focused) on destroying us entirely.
Over the howl of the wind, and the crash of the waves, and the yelling, I hear a familiar voice speak peace to my mind.
Though my face was dripping with sea water, and the wind pushed my head down, I searched for where the voice had come from, and through the mists and torrents of rain we saw Him and heard His voice, He said "Be of good cheer. It is I, Be not afraid." Those powerful words hit my soul, and I looked out on the sea. I beheld our Lord and Master coming unto us. As my eyes searched his being, I desired to come unto him, I called to Him and said "Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water." He said "Come" as I made my way to the side of the vessel, my concerns about the boat and keeping it afloat had faded, and it seemed the crash of the waves, and the roar of the wind, had dulled to the back of my head.
As I pulled myself onto the side of the ship, ready to take the plunge, my eyes are centered on the Master. Rain still drenching every inch of me, and wind still threatening to knock me loose, I lower my legs from the comfort of the solid ship, down over the side, to the unsteady black waters. Having faith in my Master, and saying a silent prayer, I make the last preparations, and I drop. I am walking.
With a triumphant smile on my face, I refocused on His face, He also smiled, I began to confidently head toward him, pondering on the great miracle that I have seen. The beauty and majesty of the Savior, commanding even something like this untamed sea, to support the feet of him and his servants. I glance back at my brothers, and see their awed looks.
Behind them I see the black clouds, and I see them barraged by wind and torrents of waves and rain. I start to feel that wind on my face. My feet find the cold water start trickling over them. A wave crashes into me, and knocks me from my feet. Sprawled out on my knees and hands, I start panicking as the sea rushes over my limbs. Another wave hits me, as I am desperately trying to stand. Fear enters my heart, as the cold water pierces my being, and in desperation I call out "Lord, Save me!"
Immediately I feel the warm hand of the Savior, grab my outstretched hand, and lift me from the dark abyss swirling and crashing around me. Now I walk with Him, and the storm and the winds and the waves depart.

If thou shouldst be cast into the pit or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.

Have faith! Do all that we can do, and then rely on the saving grace of our glorious Lord and Savior!

No comments: