Add me as a friend on facebook, so you can message me to tell me what I need to work on, or blog about.

Invite others to "Grow [their] Faith"


Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Faith of the Broken Hearted



Faith is nothing until it has been tried, tested and has stood. Many times we live a certain way. For social reasons, because others are doing it. For physical benefits, it feels good. Or because we enjoy it.
There is a joke I heard once that refers to the end of the world. The root of its humor (which isn't very funny) is that when the end comes, the sinners run to the churches, and the church-goers run to the bars.

Handcart Pioneers Approaching the Salt Lake ValleyThere is a lot wrong with that joke, but this shows the point that I am trying to make. We need to be secure in our faith. For me a great tale of faith is always that of my forefathers. The 'Mormon' Pioneers. These faithful saints endured great hardship and trials as they were crossing the plains to escape religious persecution. They instead of yielding to unrighteous dominion, left their homes, their lands, their families, and followed their hearts, for many of them to their very graves. Others made it to the Utah valley and were able to build up a place where they could worship Jesus Christ as He had revealed.
These are they who have the "Faith of the Broken Hearted" even after torment, pain, loss of loved-ones, they still moved with faith and devotion to their goal.

How I hope I can develop this faith, so that whatever trials I am called to face in this life I will be able to bear them with unflinching courage. 

Come, ye disconsolate, where’er ye languish,
Come to the mercy seat, fervently kneel.
Here bring your wounded hearts, here tell your anguish;
Earth has no sorrow that heaven cannot heal.

Joy of the desolate, light of the straying,
Hope of the penitent, fadeless and pure!
Here speaks the Comforter, tenderly saying,
“Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot cure.”

Here see the Bread of Life, see waters flowing
Forth from the throne of God, pure from above.
Come to the feast of love; come, ever knowing
Earth has no sorrow but heaven can remove.

No comments: